Personal Data Policy
This is to inform you of how CASE handles your personal data (“Personal Data”) which is subject to the Personal Data Protection Act 2012 (Cap. 26) (“PDPA”). CASE will not share your personal information with third parties without your consent unless required by law.
“Personal Data” is any information which can be used to identify you or from which you are identifiable. This includes but is not limited to your name, nationality, mobile number, email address, your image, the last three numerical digits and checksum of any government-issued identification number (e.g. “567A” from the full NRIC number of “S1234567A”), race and date of birth.
CASE may collect, use and disclose your data policy in a manner that promotes an environment of fair and ethical trade practices that furthers our vision of a consumer-friendly Singapore and may use your data in initiatives that champion consumers’ interests and promote fair-trading. CASE may also combine the collected Personal Data with other Personal Data in our possession. CASE takes reasonable efforts to ensure that your Personal Data collected by us is accurate and complete.
A. Collection of your Personal Data
CASE collects your Personal Data through the following means:
Complaint Against A Supplier
CASE may be required to collect your NRIC number for a public agency’s purpose. Unless otherwise stated, should you provide scanned documents that contain your NRIC number or other government-issued identification number, you shall blank out or mask your NRIC number or other government-issued identification number. In the event where partial collection of your NRIC is required, you should blank out or mask the first letter and the next 4 numerical digits, leaving only the last three numerical digits and checksum of that number (e.g. “567A” from the full NRIC number of “S1234567A”).
Complaint Against An Advertisement
When you sign up as a member of CASE
Volunteers / Employment
Events / Training / Seminars
B. How we use your Personal Data
CASE collects and uses your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- To verify your identity;
- To follow-up on your complaint against a Supplier;
- To follow-up on your complaint against an advertising practice;
- In responding to, processing and handling your complaints, suggestions and feedback;
- For compiling statistics for submission to government authorities / agencies / responding to media queries;
- To provide the necessary information to the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore (“CCCS”) to perform its role of administering agency for the CPFTA;
- To comply with applicable laws and regulations by the relevant authorities;
- In providing updates and reports to you about CASE through CASE’s mailing list, newsletters and magazine.
C. Disclosure of your Personal Data
CASE may disclose Personal Data for the following reasons:
- To any relevant authorities, including professional regulatory bodies and/or law enforcement agencies;
- To CCCS for the purposes of administering the CPFTA;
- To the extent necessary to comply with any laws, regulations, rules, directions, guidelines and other similar requirements;
- To an employee, volunteer or an independent contractor providing services to support CASE and whom is under a duty of confidentiality to CASE;
- Any other party to whom you authorise us to disclose your Personal Data to; and
- To the Supplier / business / organisation in order to follow-up on your complaint unless you expressly inform us otherwise.
CASE will only disclose your Personal Data as it is reasonably required to carry out our duties and to permit third parties to do the necessary work. Parties to whom CASE discloses your Personal Data to are required to comply with the PDPA (or similar data protection legislation).
D. Enquiries, Access, Correction of your Personal Data
Withdrawing Your Consent
You may refuse or withdraw your consent for us to collect, use or disclose your Personal Data by giving us reasonable notice. Please note that where you choose to do so, CASE may not be able to act for you in the matter.
CASE takes reasonable efforts to ensure that your Personal Data collected by us is accurate and complete.
To safeguard your Personal Data, all electronic storage and transmission of Personal Data is secured with appropriate security technologies.
CASE will keep your Personal Data only for as long as it is required for business or law. Once your Personal Data is no longer required for these purposes, CASE will destroy, erase or make anonymous the Personal Data. In most instances, your Personal Data will be deleted after a period of 6 years from the initial collection of your Personal Data. Where CASE collects your NRIC number (or copies of your NRIC) for a public agency purpose, CASE will cease to retain your NRIC number (or copies of your NRIC) once CASE has completed the tasks required by the public agency.
CASE reviews its Personal Data Policy and reserves the right to make changes from time to time to take into account changes in our organisation and legal requirements.
Please contact our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org if you:
- have any concern, enquiries, feedback or complaints on CASE’s Personal Data Policies;
- would like to withdraw your consent to any use of your Personal Data; or
- would like to obtain access and make corrections to your Personal Data records.